Saturday, March 31, 2007

Edinburgh - I

It's day 1 of my trip to Scotland and after checking in at my friend's place in Glasgow I head out to Edinburgh.



Edinburgh Waverley, the railway/metro station.



First snap outside the railway station. Its fricking cold and I have no idea what all to see in Edinburgh. I was hoping to cover Glasgow today and do Edinburgh tomorrow. But unfortunately, my friend had some work today and so I landed up here.

Luckily, like in most cities I have been to so far, there is a tourist centre just outside the main transport places where you get all info you need. So with a map in my hand I set out to explore Edinburgh...



What I figured out is that most sites in Edinburgh are on a single road, at one end of which is the Scottish Parliament and the palace at the other end is the castle. The road is called the Royal Mile (but it seemed more than a mile to me...!)



The national gallery... art, art and only art - and so 'NO ENTRY' for me!



All old stone buildings. You see I am standing on the side where I came out from the railway station and the road I referred to is on the other side (you can see the cross over bridge on the left).



The church, one of the older ones. Man all things in this part of the world are old... 200-300 years seems like new!



This is the road (the Royal Mile) I was referring to above. What you quickly realize is how narrow the road is and that is is not concrete or tar but stone.




I am at one end of the road. This is the palace in which queen stays whenever she is in Scotland. It's her official residence in Scotland. The palace is known as 'Palace of Holyroodhouse'



Just opposite to the palace is the Scottish parliament. There were rave reviews about this piece of construction but just a couple of days (or maybe a week) before my visit, something fell from the ceiling and all the parliamentarians had to be evacuated! So much for artistic construction, uh?



Another view of the palace.



There is a small hill just next to the palace and the parliament. One can actually climb it and is a good party spot...



Another view of the Scottish parliament.



This is a small museum. Entry was free so I decided to give it a try. The floor was wooden and made a lot of noise when I was walking. For a moment I was got conscious but then I noticed everyone made the same amount of noise when they walked, so it wasn't me alone. The museum was decent, lots of history of the city and how it was setup etc.



This is an interesting museum and certainly not something I had even heard of before. Museum of childhood and it shows how concept of childhood has changed over the years. So for a given age group it will have toys and how they have evolved over the years. Very fascinating indeed.



Scottish war memorial. A small one. The official one and far bigger one is inside the castle.

Next stop - other end of this road and to the castle. But first, lunch time and thankfully I had the company of Pizza hut here also. You see during my entire stay in London I had pretty much a weekend date with Pizza hut (whenever I was in town over weekends that is). Pizza hut was running a scheme where by you had unlimited buffet pizza for just GBP3.99. So I would go late afternoon (around 3) have a huge helping of pizza and that's it. My lunch and dinner was done - all for GBP3.99! (that's under 350 rupees - cheap even by Indian standards).

So I looted pizza hut in Edinburgh also and headed to the castle, which I was told is the most beautiful thing to see in Edinburgh.

No comments: